Welcome to the CMA’s Native American Affairs Initiative!
The Native American Affairs Initiative, established in 2003 at the SC Commission for Minority Affairs, exists to serve as a liaison to federal, state, and local government units as well as private organizations on behalf of Native American persons in this state.
The CMA serves as a single point of contact for Native American Indian Affairs and State Recognition for South Carolina. Our purpose is to be a catalyst that brings social equity and economic prosperity through policy change, education and increased awareness.
The Commission carries out its duties under Chapter 31, Title 1 of the SC Code of Laws of 1976, Section 1-31-40(A)(6)(10) and Chapter 139, Article 1 of the Code of Regulations which include but are not limited to the following:
- Influencing public policy and state services
- Maintaining an advisory committee
- Development and implementation of statistical data
- Addressing the needs of the population
- Facilitating state recognition of tribes