What Is a Non-profit Board of Directors?
• A non-profit board of directors is a group of persons chosen to govern
the affairs of a non-profit organization and to protect the public trust.
• The officers of the board are usually Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson,
Secretary, and Treasurer.
How Important is the Board of Directors?
• A non-profit organization is required by law to have a board of
• The board is the key to the success of a non-profit organization.
What are the Board’s Responsibilities?
The non-profit board of directors responsibilities include the following:
• Defining, protecting, and advancing the mission of the organization;
• Exercising moral and legal oversight;
• Safeguarding the organization’s assets;
• Recruiting and hiring staff;
• Acting as ambassadors for the organization.
Who Should Serve on a Non-profit Board of Directors?
Persons who serve on a non-profit board should bring the following to the